Friday 24 November 2017

Weekly "anything goes" thread!| for sock rom go to rompure.com

Weekly "anything goes" thread!


Weekly "anything goes" thread!

Posted: 23 Dec 2016 05:10 AM PST

Here's your chance to talk about whatever!

Although if you're thinking about getting feedback on an app, you should wait until tomorrow's App Feedback thread.

Remember that while you can talk about any topic, being a jerk is still not allowed.

submitted by /u/AutoModerator
[link] [comments]

Colorful, a runtime app theme library for Android

Posted: 23 Dec 2016 01:43 PM PST

Colorful is a library I wrote while working on one of my projects, Cluttr, which I intend on being a replacement for Quickpic. One of the more irritating things with android is that themes are immutable, you can't change them at will and can't create them from code. The most you can do is create several dozen themes and then have a large ugly if/switch to select between them.

Enter Colorful, a open source theme library I wrote. What colorful does is handle the several dozen themes for you, and provide you with a programmatic interface to set themes based on Google's material design pallet, and automatically reload all activities to reflect changes during runtime. Colorful also handles automatically saving any changes you make so they stick, as well as provide a ready made color chooser dialog that can be used in your xml preferences with no code.

I wrote this library to handle themes in Cluttr, but I'm hoping at least a few others will find it useful.

submitted by /u/Multimoon
[link] [comments]

A .net developer working on concept app for Android, things to remember and follow?

Posted: 23 Dec 2016 09:14 PM PST

Hi,

I have been Android enthusiast for over a half decade now (right from cupcake days). I have tried my hands in Android ROM development long back too. The career paths changed, I started working in Microsoft stack (Azure, C# and enterprise solutions). But being a mobile fanatic, I always wanted to dive deep in Android development (and iOS later someday).

I have this concept which I always wanted to convert to an app since like forever. I have finally decided to convert it into an app, at least a working prototype.

I spent some time designing an API for the app, created some raw wireframes to begin with. Fired up Android Studio, created a new project as per my need. Now, I am overwhelmed with the offerings of Android Studio. I remember working in eclipse back in Gingerbread days, it was a PITA (I am obviously comparing it with goodness of Visual Studio). The Android Studio on the other side is a different experience all together.

However, the coding practices we follow in C# are totally different than Java or at least Android. I wanted some quick start on how to architect your Android application the right way. Some of you might say I will have to learn Java over again but I am pretty comfortable with concepts of OOP. Would pick that up very easily. It's the architecture and tooling I am confused with.

I have never used gradle, dependency injections for Android. Some best and easy to understand (for intermediate) would help me.

I hope fellow android developer buddies will jump to help me out. I am quite excited to dive deep into this new Android Development world ;-)

submitted by /u/rahulpp
[link] [comments]

GPS Polling times

Posted: 23 Dec 2016 03:33 PM PST

In your educated opinion how often should I have my app send GPS data to a server. I'm building a tracking app for a private company and they want to use GPS to track their drivers movements. I'm not sure how often I should query the position and update the server so that I can

  1. Have somewhat accurate tracking of the app user
  2. Keep data usage to a minimum

I've tried google searching and looking on stack exchange to see if someone has asked something similar but cannot find anything, I'm pretty new to android development and am not sure how to calculate this.

submitted by /u/CollectorsEditionVG
[link] [comments]

Concurrency Primitives in Kotlin

Posted: 23 Dec 2016 01:35 AM PST

Any inputs for Gradle build times comparison on laptops with Core i7 6500U vs. 6700HQ ?

Posted: 23 Dec 2016 03:06 AM PST

Planning to buy a new Laptop but confused if I should go for a low voltage ultrabook with Core i7 6500U CPU or a more heavy duty Core i7 6700HQ processor which majorly come as part of gaming laptops. Any input on how much Android development is affected when choosing between the two CPU's would be very helpful.

EDIT: Reason for asking the difference is that ulatrabooks are lightweight and easy to carry around but if the Android Development performance is significantly better on a Gaming machine, I dont mind carrying around the bulk.

EDIT: Options that i'm comparing are http://www.thedostore.com/lenovo-laptops/ideapad-laptops/lenovo-ideapad-y700-16gb-ram-laptop.html?IPromoID=LEN860626 http://www.dell.com/in/p/xps-13-9350-laptop/pd?oc=z540038sin8&model_id=xps-13-9350-laptop

submitted by /u/funkyidol
[link] [comments]

3 Things To Know About Android Retrofit

Posted: 23 Dec 2016 06:06 AM PST

Support Library should have been part of Google play services.

Posted: 23 Dec 2016 01:03 AM PST

*Small app sizes . *Compatible with min sdk. *Always Updated .

submitted by /u/y2k2r2d2
[link] [comments]

No comments:

Post a Comment