Thursday 23 November 2017

On the aging of the flash memory of android smartphones| for sock rom go to rompure.com

On the aging of the flash memory of android smartphones


On the aging of the flash memory of android smartphones

Posted: 23 Dec 2016 01:32 PM PST

Short summary: Is the wear of the physical memory is the primary reason for the slow down of a smartphone over the years provided the software is kept clean and opimized at all times? How modern smarphones (2-3 years old) hold up compared to devices from 2011-2012 in regards of slowing down over time?

I've been using my Sony Xperia Acro S for over 4 years, and after roughly 3 years small lags and stutters started becoming progressively more and more noticeable as the time went on. Some of these lags, primarily stuttering when opening apps, freezes when there is an I/O load, lags when switching between apps, seem to persist both on stock ROM and several versions of CM-based ROMs. At one point I had to completely get rid of all gapps and switch to f-droid repos because Google Services made the phone unusable when updating. However, in the last year the lags became so severe that I could even miss a call because the GUI of the dialer didn't come up on the screen in time.

So my question is:

  • Is it correct that all this is because of the wear of the physical memory (both RAM and/or internal storage) ? (keeping in mind that effects I described persist when I flash a new ROM)
  • My phone has been on Android versions 4.0-4.1 for the most of its life. I've heard that TRIM, which supposedly should prolong the life of the memory, appeared only in 4.3. Now the phone rocks a KitKat CM-based ROM, and the lags and freezes stopped progressing visibly, although they were pretty bad already. Does the TRIM support on the modern devices make a big difference in terms of the memory longevity?
  • I just recently replaced my Acro S with a new Xperia XZ on Android Nougat (not only because of lags, but also the battery and digitizer started misbehaving). I plan to use this phone for at least another 4 years. What should I do to prolong its memory life so it remains nice and snappy? Should I even expect it to be subject to the memory wear just as much as my old Acro S?
submitted by /u/vostmarhk
[link] [comments]

Problem with Android KitKat

Posted: 23 Dec 2016 01:07 PM PST

I'm new to smarphones, so please be kind.

I got this Coolpad Android KitKat through the government lifeline program, and it worked fine at first. Now it's doing all kinds of crazy stuff.

1 - when I put it to sleep at night on the menu screen, it wakes up in landscape mode in another totally different screen, and it takes me awhile to get it back to menu, because the menu button doesn't seem to work. I have to press it several times to get the menu back, and then it comes back minimized, so I have to touch to expand it.

2 - sometimes the menu comes up with the keyboard on the bottom, and no way to close it.

3 - When I get a call, I can't get to the call screen easily to answer it. Some other screen will pop up and and have the hardest time getting back to the call screen. Is there a way to turn off the lock on the call screen?

4 - I can't seem to turn off the sound alert on gmail.

5 - I can't figure out how on earth to block annoyance calls. I've searched online, but some of the icons are just not there that I need to do it. Long pressing a missed call on history just dials the number, it doesn't bring up a menu.

TIA for any help you can give me. I'm ready to just reset it to factory settings and use it like that.

submitted by /u/sortawanna
[link] [comments]

How can i flash qualcomm based stock ROM using linux mint pc?

Posted: 23 Dec 2016 12:36 PM PST

Thank you all!

submitted by /u/Metromask1
[link] [comments]

I'm new to Android.

Posted: 23 Dec 2016 07:39 AM PST

So I've been An iPhone user since I bought the iPhone 3GS and recently had give my mom my iPhone 6s as her phone died due to water damage (I'm 16 btw). It seems like it's time for me to make a switch to Android as I've never used one before, I wanna purchase the OnePlus X as It looks very appealing to me but is it still worth it/relevant in dec,2016? And what Micro SD card which has 128GB of storage would you guys recommend? Any other android smartphones to recommend that are between 4.7 inches to 5 inches?

submitted by /u/MirrorGem_
[link] [comments]

How to get one volume for everything?

Posted: 23 Dec 2016 09:36 AM PST

How can I get one volume for everything? For instance, I was just out with my family and was looking something up on my phone - a background ad began playing very loudly so I immediately tried to bring my phone's volume down - it only brought the ringtone down and I couldn't figure out how to bring media volume down.

These things being separate make zero sense. How can I get one volume for everything? A solution that requires root is OK, though if I can do this without root that's preferred.

submitted by /u/Captain_Forge
[link] [comments]

Is there an app that takes pictures during successful unlocking attempts?

Posted: 23 Dec 2016 10:54 AM PST

I have found a lot of security apps that will take photos of intruders failing to unlock the phone, but I can't seem to find any for people who successfully access it. Is there an app that will take a picture every time there's a successful unlock of your device?

submitted by /u/VRBTFC
[link] [comments]

Purchased OTG and USB Ethernet adapter for Nexus 10. Doesn't work. What did I do wrong?

Posted: 23 Dec 2016 02:00 PM PST

As the title suggests I purchased an OTG cable and a USB Ethernet dongle for my Nexus 10 to enable Ethernet internet for my Nexus 10.

Dongle: Plugable USB 2.0 to 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet LAN Wired Network Adapter for Windows, Mac, Chromebook, Linux/Unix (ASIX AX88178 Chipset)

OTG: Micro USB Host OTG Cable with Micro USB Power for Samsung i9100 i9300 i9220 i9250 by AtomicMarket

However they won't work. I've tried the following:

  • Plugged in the power first, the dongle, then into the Nexus. Vice versa and sideways.

  • Rooted device

  • Several different Ethernet apps

  • Tried plugging dongle into Windows computer, worked great

  • Tried plugging it into 3 more different Android devices, no joy

Every single review that mentions the Nexus 10 on Amazon states that it works right out of the box. So there must be a problem with the OTG cable that I got. My problem is how do I keep my tablet charged with the other OTG cables on the market that do not offer the charging option?

What have I done wrong here?

submitted by /u/Skullpuck
[link] [comments]

Phone not turning on...help!

Posted: 23 Dec 2016 01:46 PM PST

I have a galaxy note 4 on sprint. Stock android 6.0

I was using it this morning when it died on me at 7%. I plugged it in and got the charging image. Tried to turn it on, nothing would happen. Tried a different charger, nothing. Then it stopped showing the charging page.

I have tried taking the battery out, holding the power button, replacing the battery and turning it back on. I get the Samsung display then it goes black.

I've tried recovery mode amd the Samsung display comes up with the blue 'recovery booting' script. Then the green android comes up and it says system updating, then goes black.

I've tried the download sequence and I get the warning page and I opt to restart. Same thing, samsung display then black.

I've done all these at least 10 times with the same results.

Help?

submitted by /u/Cynicismupahead
[link] [comments]

WiFi turns off on sleep

Posted: 23 Dec 2016 03:58 PM PST

Hey, I have a rooted Nexus 5 and I can't figure out what's causing the WiFi to turn off as soon as the screen turns off. Before you ask, the option in settings that is directly related to this is what it should be. I have apps like Greenify installed, but I don't think that should be the problem.

submitted by /u/jsoccerboy
[link] [comments]

How do I unlock phone from old google account for purchaser?

Posted: 23 Dec 2016 06:09 AM PST

I sold my old phone on ebay and the guy who bought it emailed me to ask why it's asking for the google account that's linked to it before he can use it.

I factory reset it before sending it, which I thought as all I needed to do, but apparently not!

Can I unlink the phone remotely? Please Help!

It's a Nexus 6 with Android 7.

Edit: Why the hell isn't it possible to fix this remotely by removing the device from my account?? What the hell, Google??

submitted by /u/Nurgus
[link] [comments]

When I click a link for a Google search result(Google search widget), is it possible for it to automatically open in Firefox or chrome app?

Posted: 23 Dec 2016 09:43 AM PST

Will 3rd Party apps be able to add the use of the 7.1.1 long press shortcuts? Or will it be Google Apps only?

Posted: 23 Dec 2016 09:36 AM PST

Is the Play Store website asking for a password for every app install now?

Posted: 23 Dec 2016 03:15 PM PST

It's been a week or two since I've installed an app to my phone via browser on my PC, but I don't recall ever getting asked for my password when installing free apps. Now it asks for my password every time I install an app. I install a free app, it asks for my password. I immediately install another free app and I get the password page again.

It very annoying and a bit excessive.

submitted by /u/unknownsoldierx
[link] [comments]

My Galaxy S6 is having USB connection problems

Posted: 23 Dec 2016 03:00 PM PST

Hey guys. So, I recently updated my Galaxy S6 twice in the past month, it is currently on 6.0.1 Android version. I have had the phone for a year and a half and have used the usb cords that came with it and any other usb cords to connect and never had any issues connecting. Although I noticed after I updated it the first time, the usb would not connect to my mac book pro. It also shows that there is no usb connected on the phone where it usually lets you choose to transfer media files or anything like that. I have Android File Transfer downloaded on my mac, I already have the USB debugging switched to 'Yes' and restarted my phone and still the options to allow the USB transfer does not show up on the phone or connect to my computer. Any ideas or suggestions on how to fix this? I have been really wanting to transfer music over to my phone for a while now! Thank you guys!!

submitted by /u/XxSittingxBullxX
[link] [comments]

nougat vibration notification settings

Posted: 23 Dec 2016 02:57 PM PST

Is there a way to customize the intensity/duration/number of vibrations for each notification from various apps? I am using 7.1.1 on a Pixel XL, but can't seem to figure out how to configure this?

submitted by /u/duhud14
[link] [comments]

How to get Google Now reminders to sync to Calendar?

Posted: 23 Dec 2016 02:53 PM PST

Being able to use Google Now's voice commands/hands-free to set reminders is great. But they appear to remain segregated to a Reminders section within the Google Now app, and do not ever make it to Calendar where I would also be able to see / be notified from my desktop Chrome browser.

So frustrating missing important reminders while I'm at work and not paying attention to my phone. Is there a way to fix this?

submitted by /u/raptureRunsOnDunkin
[link] [comments]

Possible to get the old Google Keyboard pre May 2016 back?

Posted: 23 Dec 2016 10:39 AM PST

The Google Keyboard, now called the Gboard, used to be a fantastic autocorrecter in my language - and I could easily switch between Norwegian and English. After the update in May 2016, the keyboard became utterly useless to me. The autocorrect consistently provide terrible results. The old keyboard was a real champ in this regard.

I cannot install the Google Keyboard older than version 5 because I'm using a Pixel. Are there any project on Google Play that try to use the old Google Keyboard?

submitted by /u/hnilsen
[link] [comments]

Place to find lots of .qmp boot animamations

Posted: 23 Dec 2016 02:21 PM PST

[Bug Help] Facebook Messenger marking messages as "read" automatically

Posted: 23 Dec 2016 03:42 AM PST

Has anyone experienced this and have a fix for? Myself and a couple people I talk with are experiencing an issue where our messages will be marked read automatically or if we minimize the app and come back.

submitted by /u/refekt
[link] [comments]

Mi Box doesn't show in play store

Posted: 23 Dec 2016 10:27 AM PST

I have a Nvidia tablet and Nexus player that show up in the play store but my mi box doesn't.

I have removed my.google account from the device and readded it as well. No luck.

submitted by /u/Bboy486
[link] [comments]

Texting a gif?

Posted: 23 Dec 2016 02:10 PM PST

Whenever I send a saved gif it shows up as a still image. Anybody know of a way to send gifs to people? Apps like Textra only allow you to send a select few predetermined gifs.

submitted by /u/freddy_storm_blessed
[link] [comments]

Help! How do I change the colour of the clock and text on the lock screen? I'd like it to be the same as the status bar.

Posted: 23 Dec 2016 02:01 PM PST

http://m.imgur.com/73xdo4H

I need to keep this wallpaper and I've Googled with no avail... Samsung galaxy s7 6.0.1 with nova launcher

submitted by /u/rexkwando52
[link] [comments]

My HTC 10 no longer auto updates apps on wifi

Posted: 23 Dec 2016 09:29 AM PST

I have the option for auto update apps on WiFi only selected in the Google playstore settings. However it never auto updates. I have to do it manually. This is a problems to me because if I don't check in like 3 days I have like 40 apps that have to be updated. Is anybody else encountering this problem?

submitted by /u/CodeGonzalez
[link] [comments]

Images from Gameboy ROMs showing up in gallery and Instagram?

Posted: 23 Dec 2016 09:17 AM PST

Sorry if this isn't the right place to ask this, but I recently got an S7 and just downloaded a couple of ROMs today. However, there are a bunch of sprites from the Pokémon game I downloaded that are showing up in my gallery app and on Instagram. Is there a specific folder I should move my ROMs to in order to avoid this? I'm not using an SD card, if that helps at all.

submitted by /u/rycrimes
[link] [comments]

Is it possible for Gboard to automatically correct using personal dictionary?

Posted: 23 Dec 2016 04:17 AM PST

What determines if the suggested word is gonna be highlighted or not?

I have the settings to insert the highlighted word when I press space bar but my personal dictionary never gets highlighted. Any way to force that?

submitted by /u/pca1987
[link] [comments]

No comments:

Post a Comment