Sunday 26 November 2017

Moronic Monday (Dec 26 2016) - Your weekly questions thread!| for sock rom go to rompure.com

Moronic Monday (Dec 26 2016) - Your weekly questions thread!


Moronic Monday (Dec 26 2016) - Your weekly questions thread!

Posted: 26 Dec 2016 03:09 AM PST

Note 1. Join us at /r/MoronicMondayAndroid, a sub serving as a repository for our retired weekly threads. Just pick any thread and Ctrl-F your way to wisdom!

Note 2. Join our Discord, IRC, and Telegram chat-rooms! Please see our wiki for instructions.

submitted by /u/AutoModerator
[link] [comments]

Opinion: The Problem with Default Launchers and Why OEMs Should Take Pointers from Alternatives like Nova

Posted: 26 Dec 2016 07:56 AM PST

Now that The Internet Archive is hosting CyanogenMod, consider donating to support their great work! [x-post /r/CyanogenMod]

Posted: 26 Dec 2016 12:49 PM PST

Opengur, the open source imgur client, is no longer under development. Those wanting a FOSS alternative to the official client may want to look into forking it.

Posted: 26 Dec 2016 10:39 AM PST

LG Is Planning To Make G6 Available Earlier To Avoid Competition

Posted: 26 Dec 2016 11:19 AM PST

The CyanogenMod Archives - full downloads & archive.org mirrors

Posted: 26 Dec 2016 12:32 PM PST

Hello all.
Over the past couple days I've been working on archiving all the CM sites & downloads, and I'm pleased to say I've got (mostly) everything.

I have successfully obtained the following:

  • download.cyanogenmod.org
  • jira.cyanogenmod.org
  • shop.cyanogenmod.org
  • translate.cyanogenmod.org
  • maven.cyanogenmod.org
  • wiki.cyanogenmod.org [*]
  • review.cyanogenmod.org
  • cyanogenmod.org
  • forum.cyanogenmod.org

(wiki: mostly grabbed [all the important stuff atleast], but they shut it down before I had chance to grab all of Mediawiki's "history")

This post is to provide a central repository to them all & to mirror them so they are not lost.

How to view

All the archived files are saved in the WARC format. To view them, you need to use a tool like webarchiveplayer.
They will also be available (or already are) on archive.org in the coming days.

Links

Please note not all links are available yet, it's christmas and I've been rushing to make this post. They will be available in the coming days, though! :)

ARCHIVE.ORG

review/gerrit, shop, translate, cyngn.com, maven: available HERE
reddit/r/cyanogenmod, jira, wiki, cyanogenmod.org: available SOON
forums: available SOON [!] still crawling - forums are extremely slow

DIRECT DOWNLOADS

Most files are split into different parts & atleast one 'meta' file. You need all files to view - these files do NOT need to be extracted

MIRRORS

If you want to provide a mirror, shoot me a PM and I can provide full downloads to a high-speed backend box

Mirror 1

Big thanks to Cajs for providing me with this mirror

Mirror 2
Big thanks to /u/rewbycraft for hosting this mirror!

MD5's

MD5SUM of all downloads is available HERE

CONCLUSION

This should be pretty much ALL CM web services, I have found no more. If you find something and it's still up, PM me and I'll get to scraping it right away.
If there is any problems with the downloads, please pm me and I will fix it ASAP.

Thanks all!

submitted by /u/ilR90O9k
[link] [comments]

Gionee M2017 launched with 7000mAh battery, 6GB RAM and Snapdragon 653 processor

Posted: 26 Dec 2016 06:11 AM PST

Huawei Kirin 970 Details Leak: 10nm TSMC Process, Cat. 12 LTE, Octa-core CPU

Posted: 26 Dec 2016 04:43 AM PST

Snapprefs 2.1.0 released

Posted: 26 Dec 2016 11:35 AM PST

Google Tango review: Promising Google tech debuts on crappy Lenovo hardware

Posted: 26 Dec 2016 06:27 AM PST

Cyanogenmod is dead (6 days early)

Posted: 25 Dec 2016 10:25 AM PST

From Nexus 6P to Moto Z Play: After 1 Month

Posted: 26 Dec 2016 10:59 AM PST

With the Black Friday deals, hearing the praise for the battery of the Moto Z Play and watching the battery life of my Nexus 6P start to go, I decided to give it a try.

Design - The Moto Z Play is wonderfully designed albeit some minor annoyances. I love the metal band that goes along the edge of the phone. The glass back with it's subtle design looks great, but that slowly changes as it picked up a lot of fingerprints (reminded me a bit of my Nexus 4) and the annoying look of the plastic Moto Mod PINs nestled near the bottom. The included Moto Mod style was a nice inclusion that covered up both these minor nitpicks. The buttons are nice and clicky with the power button having a texture to make it easier to feel for. Their location took some getting used to as it was near the top of the phone instead of the middle and with the way I hold my phone, I had to reach my thumb a little higher to reach all the buttons. The number one thing that took awhile to get accustomed to was the placement of the fingerprint sensor. After a year of just placing my index finger on the back of the Nexus 6P as I pick it up, I kept reaching for the back and moving my finger around wondering where it was and putting fingerprints on the camera in the process.

Hardware - The Moto Z Play is fast. I didn't notice any major slow downs in my daily use at all. Jumping between Reddit, Youtube, Pin Out, Instagram and Chrome was snappy. I don't play that many demanding games, but playing Hearthstone felt good and responsive. The fingerprint sensor unlocks faster on the Moto Z Play when compared to the Nexus 6P. With a quick tap of my finger, my Moto Z Play could unlock while I had to keep my finger on my Nexus 6P longer. Not a big deal, but something I noticed.

Display - While the Nexus 6P has a 1440P display, I didn't notice any issues using the Moto Z Play with it's 1080P display. The only time I did notice was when I put them side by side with the same video and looking for the differences, but from normal use I didn't care. Going to a slightly smaller screen was negligible.

Battery - Unlimited. Power. Well, not really, but that is what it feels like. Currently on the Nexus 6P I am hitting maybe 3-4 hours of Screen On Time from full to dead with 25% brightness, no wifi, location or bluetooth. This is with a lot of Relay for Reddit, streaming music on Google Play, checking emails and social media. The Moto Z Play can easily go double that on a normal weekday and going beyond 10 hours on the weekend with 50% brightness, wifi on and location services on with High Accuracy. I unplug my phone around 5AM for work, and come home around 4PM and when I go to bed, I usually have 60% battery left.

Speaker - There is not much to say about the speaker. It is still front facing which is nice, but it is only a single speaker when compared to the dual speakers of the Nexus 6P . It is nice and loud, albeit not as loud as my Nexus. Still perfectly fine and I like it better than having a bottom firing speaker.

Camera - I'm not a big camera person so I don't have any major comments. Photos are okay and good for social media. Not great low light performance, but I wasn't expecting much from this phone. The front facing camera is nothing to write about either, but the front facing flash is a nice touch that I don't see very often.

Overall - This phone is great. Battery life is amazing and I don't have to worry about not charging it overnight. With my usage, I don't notice any slowdowns or hiccups when jumping between my most used apps. Camera is not top tier, but I'm not buying this phone for the camera. I would generally buy the Nexus phones every year because I loved having a pure stock experience, but after using the Moto Z Play, I may have to reconsider. I may go back to my Nexus 6P to test after getting 7.1.1 as it may have fixed my battery woes, but I'm sure that I will miss that amazing battery life from the Moto Z Play.

Thanks for reading!

submitted by /u/wamen_noodles
[link] [comments]

Found an old android phone in the closest, powered it up and was was hit with this, had completely forgotton how far Android has come... especially with UI design.

Posted: 26 Dec 2016 05:12 PM PST

Gionee M2017 with two 3500mAh batteries

Posted: 26 Dec 2016 04:46 PM PST

Noise, a fork of Signal without the hard dependency on Google Cloud Messaging is available in the Copperhead F-Droid repository

Posted: 25 Dec 2016 11:25 PM PST

[Deal] Free Movie (Limited Selection) on Google Play with the purchase of two Pringles

Posted: 26 Dec 2016 03:06 PM PST

People with a Wileyfox smartphone, expect more information soon

Posted: 26 Dec 2016 01:06 AM PST

Wileyfox Swift 2 Plus Review

Posted: 26 Dec 2016 11:24 AM PST

Former Cyanogen developer - "if you have a CyanogenOS phone and can disable updates on it, do so" • /r/oneplus

Posted: 25 Dec 2016 10:40 AM PST

Thinking of finally leaving iOS and moving to Android (most likely the Pixel). What will I lose and gain?

Posted: 25 Dec 2016 08:51 PM PST

Short backstory:

My first smartphone was a Galaxy S2 (Sprint). Absolutely hated it. My friends all had iPhone 4s's at the time and they were so buttery smooth. I waited until the iPhone 5 came out, switched over and regret nothing. I did try the Galaxy S6 when that came out and the noticeable lag in everything I did, plus the terrible battery ruined things for me. Went back and got the iPhone 7 Plus.

Why I'm changing:

I don't know what's what's changing but Apple devices have somewhat let me down lately. I very recently returned my 15" MacBook Pro with the touchbar because of all the glitches and terrible battery. My 7 Plus, while it has great performance and battery, has really random crashes and bugs that haven't gone away since release. The "it just works" saying just isn't true about their products anymore. I've always liked Android and love Google's services (while I appreciate Apple's stance on security more) and Nougat seems to have really ironed out things people would have complained about the OS a while ago.

What I'm afraid of is what I'll be losing by switching. I'm heavily ingrained in Apple's ecosystem. I use @icloud.com for my emails and basically all my settings in iCloud are turned on (backup, photos, etc.). But then there's also a few things I'll miss, like iMessage, Airdrop, and the polished and premium apps that developers seem to favor more so than on Android.

Having said that, I think the 5" Pixel would be a great alternative and replacement. I'm sure there are posts like this all the time about switching over but I'm not asking IF I should do it and WHAT I should buy. What I'd like to know is the extent to which I will have to adapt based on what you all have either experienced or know enough to tell. I'd appreciate /r/Android's thoughts on this.

submitted by /u/geomachina
[link] [comments]

If your battery life starts getting worse, replace your battery rather than your phone

Posted: 25 Dec 2016 06:22 PM PST

https://imgur.com/a/BEgTe

I replaced my oneplus one battery dated December 2014 production date with a new one produced in march 2016.

Before I did that I was only getting 4h screen on time and my phone would hardly last a day.

After replacing the battery for £17 I now get 5h+ screen on time as you can see from the pictures.

A lot cheaper to replace the battery than get a new phone since the majority of new phone being released don't slow down as quick anymore.

submitted by /u/Oozehead
[link] [comments]

[App]Easy way to track your child's activities by using positive reinforcement.

Posted: 26 Dec 2016 07:03 PM PST

Hello, my friend made this app:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.parenttokids.goalandreward.lite

I'm trying to spread the word in case there are any parents that want to be involved with their children's daily activities and tasks.

Please let me know what you think, positive criticism would be great.

Also, there's a pro version and my friend has 500 codes for the pro version to give away. PM me if you want one!

Thanks!

submitted by /u/Eowyn27
[link] [comments]

OEMs need to stop releasing new phones with old software

Posted: 25 Dec 2016 04:22 PM PST

its super annoying to read all these new phones being released with Android 6.0. There is zero reason to justify it. Even the big companies like LG, Huawei and Samsung are still releasing new devices with old software. Android 8.0 previews are a few months away

submitted by /u/Metsfan84
[link] [comments]

No comments:

Post a Comment